This month we are highlighting our member, Advance IT Minnesota. Founded in 2006, with a primary goal to align student learning to meet employers’ needs and expectations, Advance IT Minnesota has become the Center of Excellence in IT for the State of Minnesota. Advance IT Minnesota is housed on the Metropolitan Sate University Minneapolis campus and partners with IT programs through the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system. Additionally, they have charter partners at Metropolitan State’s College of Management and College of Arts and Sciences, Inver Hills Community College and Minneapolis Community & Technical College. Advance IT Minnesota strives to make intelligent connections and promote systematic collaborations among employers, educators and students. Furthermore, they’ve made a commitment to highlight professional achievement of Minnesota women in the industry.
Not only does Advance IT Minnesota offer opportunities to students in higher education, but also to those in high school. Here are a list of programs and opportunities for students in secondary education:
- IT Exploration: This program gives students the opportunity to explore three different career paths in information technology (Infrastructure, Security and Application Development).
- Aspirations in Computing Award: This award is offered by the National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT), and State of Minnesota affiliate. The award honors young women in high school for their computing and IT aptitude, leadership ability, academic history and plans for post-secondary education.
- Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO): Juniors or seniors in high school can receive college credit for courses in information technology. Courses can be taken at participating college campuses or through students’ regular high school campuses.
- MN IT Discovery Network: This is a precursor to internships during a collegiate education, but rather acts as a guide to young students exploring various areas in the IT field.
- Tech IT Out!: This program brings high school students and young professionals in the IT field together for a presentation, discussion and classroom learning session.
- Cyber Foundations: Ready for some competition? This is a self-paced three week course on security followed by an examination on the covered topics.
- iSeek: Looking to find the right career path or employer? iSeek offers information on education, IT careers and a wealth of information to help students and job seekers make an informed decision about their future career.
Interested in learning more about the programs and opportunities? Visit Advance IT Minnesota’s contact page or follow them on Twitter, LinkedIn or YouTube for more information. It’s time to invest in your future!